What is “Green Theater”?
The Bushwick Starr is dedicated to operating our theater in an environmentally responsible and conscious way. We do our part to keep green- from the cleaning products we buy to the type of paint we use (non-toxic). But our Big Green Theater program will definitely raise our level of green operation.
Here is a list of ways that we will work together with our artists to create eco-friendly theater:
- Use fluorescent and/or LED lighting units
- Create manual generators (ie- electricity conducted by a person riding a bicycle)
- Use fuel cell electricity
- Use only recycled materials for sets, costumes, props, etc.
- Design sets with disassembly in mind (no permanent structures)
- Use modular sets
- Don’t use foam or plastics
- Design costumes using sustainable fabrics such as organic cotton, wool, hemp, etc.
- Use only non-toxic paint, dyes, stage make-up, etc.
- Use only pump hairsprays
- Use online ticketing (no paper stubs)
- Use online programming (no paper programs)
- Use eco-friendly cleaning and sanitary products
- Offer concessions that are made from locally grown or organic goods (ie- baked goods, organic coffee, etc.)
- Sell eco-friendly merchandise such as travel mugs
- Donate all production elements (set, costumes, props, etc.) to other arts organizations, schools, or things like wood scraps to bio-fuel use
- Publicize what we’re doing! Make our Environmental Initiative mission clear on our website and all program and project info